Please note that the application period for the 2019/2020 Scholarships has not opened yet. Please check back in June, 2019.
The Minnesota Association for Korean Americans (MAKA) is awarding a limited number of scholarships to Minnesota high school seniors of Korean origin/heritage who plan to pursue a higher education.
These scholarships are intended to enhance the positive self-esteem of students of Korean heritage and to encourage their pursuit of a college degree. All interested individuals are encouraged to apply.
Below is the information for scholarships that will be awarded to students who enter their senior year of high school in September 2019, and will be graduating in May or June 2020. Please send us a query using the Contact form if you have any further questions.
The Committee will review the application materials submitted by each student and award a non-renewable $1000-$1500 Scholarship.
Qualifications for 2019/2020 scholarships:
Minnesota High School Senior in school year 2019-2020 Citizen or Permanent Resident of the United States Korean heritage Minimum grade point average of 3.0 Will attend college Able to be our guest at the Celebrating Tomorrow Awards Dinner in February or March, 2020
1) 2019/2020 Application Form (see links below).
MAKA prefers that each applicant fill out the on-line form available on this page. If this is not an option, please contact us.
2) Official high school transcript of last two school years. (A scan or photo is acceptable; does not have to be a sealed copy from a third party.)
3) PSAT/SAT and/or ACT test scores required, plus Achievement test and Advanced Placement scores, if available. Please submit a PDF, copy or image of the test score report.
4) Photograph of the applicant. (Jpeg file preferred.)
5) Scholarship Essay: two to three pages, on ONE of the following topics:
1. Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome?
2. The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
Your application will not be considered complete unless we receive all of the above items.
Deadlines for 2019/2020 scholarships. Completed application packets must be sent to MAKA to arrive by September 30, 2019.
PLEASE NOTE: APPLICATIONS AND RELATED MATERIALS ARE BEST SENT BY FORM SUBMISSION AND E-MAIL, BUT U.S. MAIL IS AN OPTION.
Award recipients will be notified by October 30, 2019.
Minnesota Association for Korean Americans The Korean American Scholarship Committee P.O. Box 390553 Edina, MN 55439-0553
For additional information, contact the MAKA Scholarship Committee chairperson: Dr. Saahoon Hong, email = firstname.lastname@example.org
MAKA intends to award 12 scholarships this year. Selection will be based on academic achievements, honors, extracurricular activities, and the essay. All applications are reviewed and discussed within the MAKA Scholarship Committee. Decisions of the Committee are final.